Saturday, October 3, 2009

Think Through Marketing Campaigns

I have dealt with several disputes in the past few years involving advertising services. The usual scenario is that an advertising company, often a search engine optimization (SEO) firm, will sell my client on a lot of expensive services. Those services don't result in new leads for my client. But, my client will have a large bill to pay.

For instance, a company that is a business to business service provider buys an expensive package of services from an SEO firm. The company's website has very high rankings on Google searches for its area of expertise, but no new business comes in. The problem is that the company's potential customers are not looking for that kind of service provider on the Internet.

So, the SEO campaign was a waste of time and money. And, the disappointment leads to a dispute over money since the company has expended considerable monies and time in the SEO campaign.

Legally, the SEO firm did everything that it said it would do even if it didn't generate any leads. So, the company buying the campaign owe the money even if it didn't generate any new revenue. I have to tell my clients that if they hired someone to dig a hole in their yard, they would have to pay the hole digger, even if the hole had no purpose.

My recommendation to my clients is that they do some serious marketing research and hire an independent marketing consultant or business coach before investing in any expensive marketing services.

This is not legal advice. But it is a common ground for disputes, so I thought I would comment on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment